The Gang of Five
Howdy, everyone!

The member joining awards for 2019, 2020, and 2021 have been posted. We admins would like to thank each and every one of you who have made the forum their home over these years. It is because of people like you that the forum is the welcoming place that it is. :)

The forum supporter awards for those who maintained the forum on Patreon in 2023 will also be up shortly. Again, thank you all for what you do to keep our little corner of the Internet online!

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Have you ever read H.G Wells - War of the Worlds?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
What is your favorite song that isn't available on Spotify?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Have you ever read H.G Wells - War of the Worlds?

Of course! Wonderful novel, the artilleryman was my favorite character ^_^ I understand the ending is considered trite these days but for its time it was a very masterful twist, and much harder sci-fi than some sort of action-packed shootout or a nuclear airstrike or something. If you've read WOTW and want something similar, John Christopher's Tripods trilogy is very good and comes highly recommend from me. It has many of the same themes but with enemies who are more interested in enslavement and mind control, and it focuses on human perspectives both inside and outside the new world order the aliens have established on earth.

What is your favorite song that isn't available on Spotify?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfTQvqHe3s

The theme song to an old microsoft game called Impossible Creatures is still one of my favorite game songs. The game was so ahead of its time with its hypercustomization focus on mix-n-matching creature pieces to create these franken-units to lead into battle, and this theme song nailed the atmosphere with jazzy trumpets, retro-swing aesthetic and various animal screeches as backup percussion, it's such a memorable ride to listen to. Just like the game itself, you can buy it on Steam, go play it if you haven't :D

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is the LBT (Lettuce, Bacon, & Tomato) sandwich your favorite? If not, what is?

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It definitely was at the time I made my account! (Whose username completely broke my brain on it, now I constantly get flustered when I see "Bacon Lettuce & Tomato" because it looks wrong to me, lol)  but sadly I can't eat them anymore as I gave up pork a few years back. I've been slowly cutting meat out of my diet just because I find cows & pigs & chickens cute and don't want to be responsible for any getting killed, but it is really hard to live without what used to be my protein staples. Nowadays my favorite sandwich is tofurky on sourdough with spinach and balsamic drizzle, 'impossible meats' have been a lifesaver for my diet and I eat so many different types :D

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Probably Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia Butler. It's a collection of sci-fi stories that really delves into some fascinating aspects of gender, race, and medical science. The titular story was incredibly unsettling for me to read as a young man, since it stars a male adolescent in a world where insectoid aliens have formed a mutually-codependent society with humans where they implant eggs into (economically coerced but willing) males for their own reproduction. Yet it's not a horror story, it plays everything so tenderly and with such vulnerability from both the human and alien protagonists, it really made me question a lot of assumptions I'd made about my masculinity. There's a commendable breadth of focuses and topics across the stories, I highly recommend the whole lot of them.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you believe that a combined 11 Boys voicing Littlefoot worked better for his personality than if an experienced Female Voice Actress like E.G Daily, Kath Soucie  or Tara Strong etc voiced him over multiple films?

Dolores

• Ruby
  • I can English
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Do you believe that a combined 11 Boys voicing Littlefoot worked better for his personality than if an experienced Female Voice Actress like E.G Daily, Kath Soucie  or Tara Strong etc voiced him over multiple films?

Honestly, yeah, I kinda like that he was voiced by an actual member of his demographic, I think it gives his voice some differentiation from the other characters who were voiced by women. He's basically the only traditionally-voiced male character in the cast (Petrie sounding stupid, Spike being nothing but growls and the others being girls) so if there was a character to give to an actual kid, it'd be Littlefoot. I agree with the common consensus that the dude who voiced him in (I think) 11 stayed on for one too many movies after puberty, but other than that it was a good choice overall and worked out in the end.

Are you a coffee drinker?

Somehow I've never developed the habit! I remember when I was young I mentioned I don't drink coffee to my boorish overbearing uncle, who laughed and said "Let's see how long THAT lasts once you go to college! Haruph haruph harumph" And I really don't like him, so I went through all 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of masters without drinking coffee just to spite him. And then about 10 years ago I gave up all drinks except milk and water as a new year's resolution, so I've just never had the chance to get on that boat since.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't care about the answer but do you like the content of Mr Beast?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Honestly I avoid it like the plague. I think I watched one back in the day but it was just aggressively overcut, every second seemed to have a smash zoom or a whip pan or a sound effect or a star wipe or whatever garish eye-catching thing he needed to keep kids' eyes glued to the screen every millisecond of the runtime. I've even been avoiding all the vids waxing about some sort of scandal because I don't want the algorithm to get any ideas that I care about the dude or his content

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&amp;Tomato) on August 13, 2024, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on August 13, 2024, 04:14:04 PM
I've even been avoiding all the vids waxing about some sort of scandal because I don't want the algorithm to get any ideas that I care about the dude or his content

I assume you mean about the troubling allegations that have come out about MrBeast and co recently? The allegations are still piling on day by day for him, from what I've seen of updates and such.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah something like that. Not terribly surprised, you need to be at least a little ruthless/sociopathic to have such a meteoric rise to the biggest content creator on the world’s premiere video-hosting site

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Have you ever seen the film The World's End?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What is one fond memory you can think of during your time here on this forum?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Have you ever seen the film The World's End?

Yeah, I've seen the whole Cornetto's trilogy! I admit I liked the other two better (Hot Fuzz is one of my favorite comedies of all time) but it's still a wonderful movie that solidifies several ongoing themes from the preceding films (and Wright's earlier series Spaced.)

What is one fond memory you can think of during your time here on this forum?

There are so many! But I have to say roleplaying Darwin's Soldiers and the Into the Black series in the RP forums. Both of those universes were so much fun to play in, the other writers were wonderful to creatively ping off, and my own writing improved tremendously. Both RP 'verses will forever hold a special place in my heart, and sometimes I wish Serris would start another one cause I'd join in a heartbeat, haha