The Gang of Five
Howdy, everyone!

The member joining awards for 2019, 2020, and 2021 have been posted. We admins would like to thank each and every one of you who have made the forum their home over these years. It is because of people like you that the forum is the welcoming place that it is. :)

The forum supporter awards for those who maintained the forum on Patreon in 2023 will also be up shortly. Again, thank you all for what you do to keep our little corner of the Internet online!

Mufasa: The Lion King

Nahla2 · 6 · 1180

Nahla2

• Ruby
  • I'm the horse girl you were warned about
    • View Profile
Disney dropped the trailer for The Lion King prequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17MF9vnabg

The characters seem a lot more expressive then their last attempt at a 'live-action' The Lion King, the lack of emotion really killed that movie, it was beautiful, I won't deny that but the lack of emotion made me not care to watch it again after seeing it once.

I'll be giving it a go, but going to set my expectations too high but I'm also well aware I'm not the target audience of these films anymore, but I'll never stop watching Disney films. I'm really interested in this story.

Like who is the white lion pride?

And at least this one is a story we haven't seen before and not just a scene-for-scene recreation.

I mean...it can't be as bad as Wish right? I waited until that one came to Disney+ and glad I did because I turned it off halfway and I didn't miss anything from what I read.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've just watched the trailer. While I agree they seem to show more facial features as opposed to the Lion King remake, I'm still not a fan of realistic animals talking like humans. I wish they had gone with traditional animation or Pixar style instead.

Curious to hear what you think when it comes out.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I've just watched the trailer. While I agree they seem to show more facial features as opposed to the Lion King remake, I'm still not a fan of realistic animals talking like humans. I wish they had gone with traditional animation or Pixar style instead.

Curious to hear what you think when it comes out.

From what I've heard The Guardian article from March of 2013, this was when the Disney chief executive Bob Iger "revealed that none of the studio's animation companies was working on 2D, hand-drawn material for the big screen."

Then about a month later, Disney gutted their hand-drawn animation division, leading to many veteran animators being laid off unfortunately.

This article from Vulture is a good insight of what happened to Disney animated movies. This quote near the beginning of the article summarizes what may have been the case with the ceasing of animated films at Disney, but you can read the rest of the article for more in-depth elaboration of that.

“Pixar was doing really well and Disney films weren’t, and there was a general push in that direction,” says Amid Amidi, publisher and editor-in-chief of Cartoon Brew. “Of course, why they didn’t do well is another question. It wasn’t because hand-drawn wasn’t good, it’s because there were bad decisions at upper levels — too many layers of middle management, too much second-guessing, the typical filmmaking by committee.” Pixar was, famously, a filmmaker-driven studio, where animators and artists often collaborated on creative decisions. By contrast, Disney was being run by managers, executives, and accountants. You could see the difference in the respective movies they made.

And also according to the article, when Disney bought Pixar in 2006, it led to a short resurgence of of new hand drawn animation movies. But that quickly fizzled away, with their last full hand-drawn animated film being Winnie The Pooh in 2011.

So in essence, for anyone hoping that Disney will eventually return to traditional 2D animation... that's not gonna happen unfortunately. Their hand-drawn animation division is long gone, and I doubt they will revive it. And as for me personally, I was done with Disney when they decided making live-action movies was going to be their whole shtick going forward. And it's especially horrendous when they keep making live-action remakes of older successful animated movies as cheap nostalgia-bait and cash grab, while also making them worse than their traditionally animated counterpart.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Dolores

• Ruby
  • I can English
    • View Profile
I haven’t seen the 2019 one so I can’t compare.

Why are they British? Or is that not British accent? Do I just not know the difference between British accents and American accents?

I am not a fond of the realistic but cartoony animals with human characteristics either.

There just something off.

Very uncanny valley.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nah Disney is dead to me.  I'm not giving them any more of my money. 

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm not really interested in watching the trailer, but even the thumbnail is creeping me out. That is not how lions smile. It's reminding me of Because of Winn Dixie, an old movie where they CGI'd a humanlike smile onto the dog in half the scenes and it just completely took me out of the movie